“Care of the soul is quite different in scope from modern notions of psychology and psychotherapy. It isn’t about curing, fixing, changing, adjusting or making healthy, and it isn’t about some idea of perfection or even improvement. It doesn’t look to the future for an ideal, trouble-free existence. Rather it remains patiently in the present, close to life as it presents itself day by day. Care of the soul is a sacred art.”
– Thomas Moore from Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
The work we do at Healing Icons is a sacred art. We delve deep into our subconscious minds, our hearts, our pasts and presents, to care for our souls through art-making. To help guide us in this process, I’ve written the following creativity manifesto.
- Listen to your inner voice. It is crucial to the artistic process.
- Engage and let go. Trust the process.
- There is no right or wrong way to create, just different ways.
- Art belongs to the People, not just to the trained “elite.”
- Everyone has creativity within their being.
- Art is a language for expressing our inner voices.
- Art leads us on a journey into self-discovery.
- The creative process just as important as the product.
- Art has much to teach us if we learn how to listen and speak its language.
- Infuse yourself with creativity – it will feed your soul and heal your spirit.
“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
– Antoine de Saint-Exupery